Hi everyone,

I've been working with an RPG 4 program running in the 36 environment. I changed it to use an externally described print file instead of the originally program described file. Now when I run it i get:

CPF4214 Overflow line 60 for file LABELPF in library JAMES not valid.

After some puzzling I displayed the active overrides for the job and discovered:

*PRTF 7 PRT PAGESIZE(66.000 *N *ROWCOL) OVRFLW(60) ...

I thought perhaps some OCL36 somwhere may have created this override, so as a test I created an OCL36 program that consists entirely of:

// PAUSE
// LOAD LABELIR
// RUN
// PAUSE

And created an RPG 4 program called LABELIR that consists entirely of:

FLABELPF O E PRINTER OFLIND(*IN41)
C write LABEL
C setoff 41
C seton LR

Clearly there are no overrides done in either the OCL36 or the RPG 4 programs. Yet if I check the active overrides while the RPG 4 program is running that same *PRTF override above appears. Can someone explain to me where this override comes from?

James Rich

if you want to understand why that is, there are many good books on
the design of operating systems. please pass them along to redmond
when you're done reading them :)
- Paul Davis on ardour-dev