Vern Hamberg wrote:
When you want all programs you call within your job stream to use
the same ODP. This has been used for printing from the same
printer file in several programs that are each called from that
CL or a program called by the CL.

The open has to be the same kind of open - you can't share an ODP
for input only with one for update.

David FOXWELL wrote:
Apart from using OPNQRYF, when (or why) would I want to use
SHARE(*YES)?

Just to be clear...

When one wants to share an Open Data Path [ODP] across those programs that run within the scope of the override [e.g. scoping could be to an activation group] and current routing step [such that any new routing step in the same job loses all overrides, IIRC].

Although the shared open can not be shared fully functional[ly] across dislike open options, the common data management may simply modify the open of the sharer, to match the existing open, in order to honor the request to share; i.e. sharing may be effected at the cost of lost functionality. In that case a program may continue to run, having opened the file without its desired I\O _methods_ being activated, to then possibly experience difficulties due to its option\method not being supported. Thus in the case of an OPNDBF OPTION(*INP) opened allowing sharing and then the shared open by OPNDBF OPTION(*ALL), the CPF4123 RC1 diagnostic logs the condition [and the open feedback updated to suggest] that [some of] the specified "open options <were> ignored".

Regards, Chuck