So you get instant deployment of your application, but without all the CSS,
Javascript, HTML, server side/client side stuff that complicates web
programming.

And how well does that work when you are talking about an application that
has thousands of screens? How well does deployment work then? Are the
files big like the Flex .swf approach?

Even though we have much more bandwidth than 5 years ago, I think Microsoft
is shooting themselves in the foot by having compiled home grown objects
downloaded to the browser for every screen. They could have made a much
thinner and better performing veneer by only passing down a screen
definition to a render engine and keep all of the compiled programs on the
server so you never have to wonder if everybody is operating on the same
version of code.

That's not to say you couldn't develop a Sliverlight app that all it does is
interprets a screen definition from the server and displays it, but at that
point you may as well be doing something like ExtJS that works on all
platforms and browsers. Note I haven't done any Silverlight dev, so feel
free to enlighten me if what I am stating is not the case.

The first vendor to figure out the right mix of thin veneer client with a
simple server side programming environment will win this 10+ year battle
that has been going on in the browser app space. RPG+DB2+IBMi is so
incredibly well suited for this EXCEPT for the lack of the thin veneer. The
traditional 5250 programming environment with stateful jobs is incredibly
efficient for man hours consumed - again, we just lack a UI. I am hoping to
address that with RPGUI (http://mowyourlawn.com/rpgui.html)

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com
http://mowyourlawn.com/blog/