Installing all the PTFs that IBM software support recommended did not work.

Interesting point. I tried this morning to do a CHGPF on the SAME file that
I manually processed and it worked.

I was ready to send the victory e-mail to IT, then I thought I would try
another file. It hung.

The status in WRKACTJOB is RUN. Here is the call stack:

Module or Statement

Type Program Expanded Type Identifiers

QCMD QSYS

INFOCON ICSUTLIB 3600