I am trying to decide how to approach the application of a new cume on my blade. This would be the first major cume/update since I *finally* got things stable last spring. So I am a little shy about making any changes but I am far enough behind now that I need to move forward.

The first thing I did was to download all the updates for all the components on the BCS and blade.
First I pulled the latest Cume and groups from Fix Central, but, in doing so, and not paying attention, I ended up doing an immediate download rather than my usual approach which is to order the images and pull them through FTP. The installation instructions refer to an image catalog approach or using individual CD's/DVD's. There is no mention of how to apply individual PTF's that were immediately downloaded. I am assuming that I just use the usual option 8 on the PTF menu and use *SERVICE for the installation media device. Correct?

OK. That will probably be the easiest and most successful part. I have already downloaded and updated the AMM which is also easy. But the next two steps will be the challenge and I need to verify that sequence. I need to update both the blade firmware AND VIOS. The question is: Do I update the blade firmware and VIOS BEFORE I update the CUME on the i partition OR after the Cume? Based on this information:

"These recommendations are based upon your system already having installed the most current Cumulative PTF Package, HIPER Group PTF, and Database Group PTF." which is found here:

http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase.nsf/ibmscdirect/1C94AF8A9EAC7C138625764A006A426F

It seems like I should update IBM i first, then deal with VIOS. So my plan is to do this:

Backup the existing IBM i partition. Backup VIOS.

Load and apply what was downloaded from fix central.

IPL (however many times I need to) and then shut down the i partition.

Update the blade firmware. Update VIOS to FP 22 (plus an interim fix).

Bounce the blade.

IPL the IBM i partition

Hope to have a functioning system afterwards.

Anyone see an issue here? The whole blade firmware/VIOS/Cume-Group relationship is what is making me nervous.

Thanks.