I think more accurate information than displaying the *SAVRST data [e.g. number of objects, object names & types], would be displaying the "Current number of records" for the file; see DSPFD output.

The save file is the combination of the external object type *FILE and the internal object type *DMPSPC. Either of those objects might account for a difference in size, even changes that do not affect the actual data within the file.dumpspace that was created as part of the restore, into which the data was then loaded. If both files still exist to enable the DSPSAVF & DSPFD, then a comparison of the "SIZE" recorded for each of the objects presented for both of the DMPOBJ output spool files would enable revealing which object was the source of the size difference.

If the size difference is due to truncation of the object [e.g. actual or effective partial damage], then a reduced number of rows may be reflected, but DSPSAVF probably will *not* expose any truncation because the object mimics sequential media, where the details of the save are unlikely to be part of whatever might be truncated [data follows details]. If the new dump space is smaller, then that is not a problem if all of the records actually exist. If a restore is attempted from the save file, and the restored save file had been truncated, the restore will likely fail or leave partially restored objects that are or should become marked damaged when the partially restored objects are then accessed.

Regards, Chuck

John Earl wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of a restored save file being of a
different size than the original save file that was saved?

We have a situation where we wrote a save file with 5300+ objects
in it to tape, then later restored the save file and to the same
system and found that the size of the restored file was about
190K smaller than the the original save file.

A DSPSAVF indicates that the same number of objects are in the
save file, and there is no obvious loss of data. The next step
is to do a object by object inspection, but before I go down that
road I was wondering if there might be a simple explanation that
I am just not aware of.