I have created an SQL UDF using RPG code that accepts two parameters, and I
want to add an optional third parameter.

As a test, I added an optional third parameter to the sub-procedure in the
service program (and created the function again using the same name except
with 3 parms), thinking that I could check to see how many parms are being
passed to the RPG program by examining the value of %PARMS. However, %PARMS
is -1, regardless of the number of parms that I pass via my UDF call (either
2 or 3).

As a Q&D fix, I used a Monitor block when referencing the 3rd parm, but I
would like to understand what is really happening under the covers.

Code snippet here: http://code.midrange.com/d072fb0fec.html

Regards,
sjl