They should have told the SL rep that their job is to explain the limitation and the location of the documentation about that limit, or to report the problem as a defect to the developers, and not "to suspect" what the design, implementation, or function\outcome should be :-)

What was the supposed "more complex" environment that the failing system had? The only thing I can think of as problematic is that there is a STRTCP request somewhere else, _in addition to_ the STRTCP(*YES), and those are in conflict. Either the autostart options should be defined and effected via the STRTCP(*YES), or the services should be started via the STRTCP, but not both [concurrently]. Seems to me what happened in the failing case was that the STRTCP was probably not removed from QSTRUPPGM, even though the STRTCP(*YES) was established. Thus the advice probably should have been to disable either of the start requests, not to disable one and add another; i.e. another, the STRTCP command, was apparently already there, in order to have given opportunity for the conflict.

FWiW & IIRC, the x/19EF is a Miscellaneous Temporary Space; type *QTSP. Thus it seems odd that there is any locking of the object, or that when there must be, then a very long wait should be enabled to override the DFTWAIT() within the system job, specifically in order to avoid a timeout which would be predictable for likely race conditions between an old QSTRUPPGM having STRTCP and the newer OS having STRTCP(*YES). As a temporary object, there is no ability to use WRKOBJLCK to determine the conflict. Presumably the "resource conflict" was logged as [one of] the MCHxxxx error [e.g. MCH5802] for lock conflicts that was updated to record a job which held a conflicting lock; that would have been investigated from the failing request, which then presumably pointed to the QSYSARB5 system job.

Regards, Chuck

Ingvaldson, Scott wrote:
Someone I know had a resource conflict during STRTCP after a V5R3
--> V5R4 upgrade, the actual problem was apparently the QSYSARB5
job holding a lock on QUSRSYS/QTCPACT of type X'19EF'

One of IBM's recommendations was to "change the IPL attribute
(CHGIPLA) to not start TCP and add a STRTCP to QSTRUP."

From the SL analyst:

"I would suspect the new release has affected the startup timing just enough to cause misc. issues on startup. ...the IPL
attribute is only recommended to be set to start TCP/IP in a very
vanilla environment. If you have anything more complex, which
you do, the recommendation is to not start TCP/IP with the IPL
attribute but rather start it in QSTRUP."

In this day and age does anyone really have a "very vanilla environment?" I spent a lot of time a few years back getting STRTCP(*YES) to work properly so that it wasn't starting twice
and creating miscellaneous server conflicts. I'm curious what
everyone else thinks and does.