I'm not saying that the HA software has to do it all, and this is not what
we use in our shop. Ours is actually even more complicated. And I'm not
an admin, just a highly involved developer.

As for the rest:

- IP Addresses, network attributes, routing: You were going to have to
touch this anyway when you failed over to your HA box, weren't you?
- WRKRDBDIRE: don't use it except for our actual HA software, but it
shouldn't it be part of your DR process to change these on the HA box if
you change your production machine?
- PTF's: Of course you have to keep both boxes at the same level.
- Vendor Keys: Yes, you will need keys, but if your machine is down and
your tapes that are in the fireproof safe are gone, I'm willing to bet you
had a pretty big disaster and will be replacing the whole machine anyway.
In which case you've been running on the DR box for a good while, so tapes
you sent to Iron Mountain or wherever are probably already too stale to be
used. So you were going to have to restore data from tapes taken at your
second location anyway.

I'm always intrigued by good discussions such as this. Don't take it as
picking an argument. Too bad we're not discussing it over a couple of
rounds of beer.

Brian May
Project Lead
Management Information Systems
Garan, Incorporated
Starkville, Mississippi

Young i Professionals
http://www.youngiprofessionals.com

rob@xxxxxxxxx
10/02/2009 03:51 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: Alternatives to Iron Mountain

The HA process does NOT keep both boxes identical. Think about it. Would

they have the same
- IP addresses
- Same system name
- same WRKRDBDIRE
- same network attributes
- same routing

They also will not have the same vendor keys. These are often tied into
serial number, processor and what not. Many times a vendor will have a
technote that says to omit data area x in library y from your HA software.

Do you really expect a change to WRKRDBDIRE on one system to be propagated

over to the other system? No. User profiles, user libraries and so on,
yes. I don't even expect a HA solution to keep DSPPTF in sync. How would

you expect it to?