Lots to think about. I appreciate the details.
Jim Franz

----- Original Message ----- From: "CRPence" <CRPbottle@xxxxxxxxx>
Newsgroups: midrange.midrange-l
To: <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, September 13, 2009 4:03 PM
Subject: Re: Journalling All Files

The SQL SCHEMA [or COLLECTION] journaling interface is activated
simply by the existence of the object name QSQJRN as *JRN object in
the library; i.e. creation by SQL is not a requirement. However
only the SQL CREATE TABLE [database *FILE object] is affected by
that type of automatic\implicit journaling implementation. Also be
aware that having more than one *JRN object on the system [iASP
really] with the same name is discouraged, since /recovery/ for the
journal objects is impacted; an /oops/ in the original design :-(
Ideally, only the one QSQJRN in the QSYS2 library of the iASP would
exist on a system.

For a more generic library-based automated\implicit [object]
journaling implementation, investigate the QDFTJRN *DTAARA which by
its existence [similar to the QSQJRN *JRN] with its character data
will identify the qualified journal name [i.e. not limited to within
the same library as with the SQL implementation], the object type(s)
affected, and some detail for the level of journaling. The feature
is not part of the CRTLIB & CHGLIB, which IMO seems much more
appropriate; probably best to have been implemented that way,
optionally identifying an exit program by a special value *REGFAC
versus trying to identifying all of the journaling details via
parameters on the XXXLIB commands themselves.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=qdftjrn+site%3Aibm.com
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/rzaki/rzakiautostrjrnl.htm
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/tips0604.html
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/tips0662.html

FWiW there is some limited reporting available with the CMPJRNIMG
[compare journal immages] command. As for journaling temporary
files, I think that is mostly an application decision. Journals are
not nearly as friendly for temporaries as for persistent\permanent
object for which the current\existing object identifies the current
JID [journal identifier] against which image selection is done; e.g.
a renamed file requires knowing timestamps that the file existed and
searching across the separate names.

Regards, Chuck

Alan Campin wrote:
If you create a library as an SQL library any files that is added
to the library is automatically journaled. You can do this be
using STRSQL and Create Collection or by using Ops Nav to create
a schema.