This should work:

with temptable (start_min, end_max) as (
select min(start_x), max(end_x)
from table1)
select *
from table2
where exists (select 1
from temptable
where no_nbr between start_min and end_max);

However, your question is wrong: ID1 is not retrieved because 4 is not between 5 and 36 ;-)

Also, I had to change the field names because "start", "end" and "no" are reserved words.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Peter Colpaert
Software Engineer, Philips Consumer Luminaires

Industrieterrein Satenrozen 11, 2550 Kontich, Belgium
Tel. +32/ 3 450 74 09, Fax +32/ 3 450 74 33, Internal 1317
peter.colpaert@xxxxxxxxxxx, www.philips.com

Simply Switch to printing double-sided and printing less