Thanks to all who responded. I didn't realize a restore includes deleted
records, now I know. And the lock parm on the RGZPFM is also new to me,
very cool. How many times in my career could I have used this? Again, the
i amazes.

It was one of those deals, first I'm asked to purge the file down to one
year, then the next day when the $&%# hits the fan, I'm asked to put it all
back... arrg!

Thanks again, Tim

message: 9
date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 18:05:23 -0500
from: John Jones <chianime@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: RGZPFM vs RSTOBJ

If you're on a recent OS release the reorg can be run in the background so
it more or less takes no time at all. No downtime, anyway. Check the LOCK
parm of RGZPFM. I think you have to be V5R3 and up.

Also, don't forget to change the file to reuse deleted records so deleted
record growth is slow going forward.