As you've found already, it looks like support was added in 6.1.

FWIW, the ODBC driver ought to work just as the .NET developers are used to
when TRUEAUTOCOMMIT is turned on:
http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase.NSF/515a7ef1f8deef8c8625680b00020380/31
821151773d0613862569b200550644?OpenDocument

As for communicating 'weird' isolation level meanings to the .NET
developers, here is an excerpt from the IBM Client Access "Programmer's
Toolkit":

===============
enum value System i Host's Isolation Level value

Chaos *NONE
ReadCommitted *CS
ReadUncommitted *CHG
RepeatableRead *ALL
Serializable *RR
Unspecified *NONE

Note: IsolationLevel Chaos is not recommended, because on the System i this
results in a transaction which autocommits, and cannot be rolled back.
===============

It's funny how IBM worded the Chaos description... it doesn't really
'autocommit', it just looks like it did since the change is permanent :)

One other option developers have is to write a stored procedure that is
written as:

CREATE PROCEDURE
BEGIN ATOMIC
END;

Notice use of the keyword ATOMIC.

Bottom line is that there is a way to do whatever they want on the IBM i,
quirky or not.

Hth, Elvis

Celebrating 11-Years of SQL Performance Excellence on IBM i, i5/OS and
OS/400
www.centerfieldtechnology.com