For the record 1TB of disk is in no way shape or form a large system today.
(Frankie, a 170 has 3/4 TB!) As Lukas said that can be had in 4 drives
today and even with RAID you'd have 1.35 TB with the largest drives!

When I originally read the post I though you said 1,000TB which WOULD be a
large system.

As others have said it's about arms, and I/O workload and what you do with
(on?) your disks. In other words as always YMMV! DO THE MATH first before
you resize a system to have fewer larger disk units!

- Larry

Larry Bolhuis IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert:
Vice President System i Solutions
Arbor Solutions, Inc. IBM Certified Systems Expert:
1345 Monroe NW Suite 259 System i Technical Design and Implementation
V6R1
Grand Rapids, MI 49505
(616) 451-2500
(616) 451-2571 - Fax
(616) 260-4746 - Cell

If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank
a soldier.

rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent by:
midrange-l-bounce To
s@xxxxxxxxxxxx Midrange Systems Technical
Discussion
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
05/29/2009 09:50 cc
AM
Subject
Re: Large systems and full disks
Please respond to
Midrange Systems
Technical
Discussion
<midrange-l@midra
nge.com>

Sue has some good points. We had one file that we used to have to use
tape to reorg it (if we waited too long).

Keep in mind that you may have stream files (non qsys.lib stuff) that may
be a consideration also. These may be bigger than your qsys.lib stuff.

Then again, our biggest lpar is only at 54% with ninety 70GB disk drives.
%busy (see WRKDSKSTS) on those right now hovers between 2 to 4 percent).
But it's a Friday on a short holiday week - with one silly day of school
left on Monday.

You can play with WRKSYSVAL QSTGLOW* and STRSST ... "Work with ASP
threshold" for short term. Actually I leave that last at 80%. I want
enough time to go through management to order more disk.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
Dock 108
6928N 400E