From: Lukas Beeler
Yes, and they don't consider cost. Which is important in the
real world. Just compare a 20k Xeon based machine with a 20k
POWER based machine.

That's relevant in the sense that most organizations seem to weight price/performance higher than total-cost-of-ownership in their purchase decisions.

But better decisions are made when one considers overall architecture and overall workload. Richard made an interesting observation about Jasper Reports using AWT. I didn't know that, and it seems odd, but even IBM admits that its AWT support is essentially a kludge. Windows may be a much better platform for that workload. My inclination would be to drop Jasper Reports.

What happens to server performance when one of the servers is running a virus scan? My virus scan ran for more than 12 hours last night. Or what about performance of an interactive process when a number of batch processes are spooling printer output? Windows doesn't seem to perform well when spooling to network printers - just from personal observation.

In the real world, workload management is more complex. Batch reports & spooling. Point-of-sale devices. Asynchronous file transmissions. Web applications. Green-screen applications. Email. Etc.

The problem with looking at a simple benchmark peforming a homogeneous CPU bound workload is that it's so far removed from the real world.

Nathan.