We download fixes to vendor software from their FTP site. Each fix is a
self-contained ZIP file with a save file (and other items such as a text
file or Word doc) inside. I used Scott Klement's FTP API to retrieve the
fix archives to a local directory (thanks Scott!).

I want to automate the "preparation" of installing the save files. The
overall process would look like this:

# List contents of IFS folder where ZIP files are located

# For each file listed:

# Extract the ZIP file to a temporary location

# Create the requisite save file object (same name as ZIP file without
.zip) in a specified library

# Put the contents of the extract save file into the save file object

I have some questions on the overall architecture of such a program.

Should it be one language (RPG, CL , REXX), or multiple languages (using
ILE modules)? Based on the list, I can see an RPG module driving the
process (reading the directory), and calling other RPG or CL modules as
needed.

I know there is a jar utility which is a glorified ZIP file processor.
Is the best way to use it is via the QSH command? I want to avoid using
Java if possible.

There is no "create object" or "create save file" API, so I assume would
be a call to qcmdexc or qcapcmd.

What might be the best way to populate the save file once created? I was
thinking about using FTPAPI again to read the IFS file and upload to the
save file, but that seems to be the long way round. Is there a more
direct method?

I want to use this opportunity to try some new techniques.

The ultimate goal is to have the download and prepare processes
automated on a job scheduler. For example, we might download new fixes
weekly or monthly, and they would be "ready to install" in our testing
partition. As such, I would like to keep all the programming native on
i5/OS.

Please keep responses applicable to V5R4.

Thanks,

Loyd

--

Loyd Goodbar