Hi Bruce

I have Transferred this post from rpg400-l, as suggested by David.

Regarding your comment
--snip
But the objective of working with Japanese, PRC Chinese, and English to
mention just a few languages) in one 5250 session, simultaneously, has been
possible for a few years now.???
--snip

Do you mean that with the a UNICODE database plus Iseries Access for the WEB
that this objective have been possible. As per your presentation.

--snip from Bruce Vining
here are two products that I am aware of that take advantage of the
5250 datastream support for Unicode. They are iSeries Access For Web and
HATS.
My COMMON presentation, What's With These ASCII, EBCDIC, Unicode
CCSIDs, at
http://www.brucevining.com/Presentations/PPT_Presentations/Whats_with_th
ese_ASCII_EBCDIC_Unicode_CCSIDs.pdf<http://www.brucevining.com/Presentations/PPT_Presentations/Whats_with_these_ASCII_EBCDIC_Unicode_CCSIDs.pdf>
uses iSeries Access for Web when concurrently showing Russian,
Chinese, German, and English on the 5250 *DSPF.
--end snip from Bruce Vining

Regards
Frank Kolmann

date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 02:42:54 -0800 (PST)
from: Bruce Vining

For your database use UCS-2 (CCSID 13488).
You would think that UTF-16 (CCSID 1200) would work but unless Access for
Web and HATS >have changed they only accepted 13488 last I checked (when
negotiating CCSID support). >This may have changed over the last year or
two.
UTF-8 (CCSID 1208) won't work as that is treated as character data (rather
than graphic data) >by the database and the high level languages.
You also need to change/recompile your *DSPFs as they also need to indicate
that Unicode is >being used. In my presentation my *DSPF was defined
referencing my database definitions >so changing the *DSPF was as easy as
recompiling. You may or may not find it as easy.
As with the *DSPF you do need to at least recreate the RPG?*PGM. And
depending on how >your application is coded you may, or may not, also need
to make changes in the application >source code. Some of these
considerations are mentioned in my presentation.
But the objective of working with Japanese, PRC Chinese, and English to
mention just a few >languages) in one 5250 session, simultaneously, has been
possible for a few years now.???
Bruce
Bruce Vining Services
507-206-4178