JDHorn wrote:

We have a user who puts in a big download to excel from iseries access and
then goes home for the night. It uses -all- the available cycles. Is
there a way to find the sql statement being processed somewhere in the i
? Is there an easy way to lower the priority of the qzdasonit jobs he
creates without lowering the priority of the other work he does during the
day?

Jim:

Vern mentioned database monitoring. And you stated "It uses -all- the available cycles."

Now, it might be a little extreme to say "-all- cycles," but I suspect that you mean that little else has much chance of running during that time.

If that's true, then system-wide database monitoring that was started near end of day shouldn't really have much to monitor until the next morning. If a job scheduler entry ended the monitoring near start of the next day, there shouldn't be much to look over except the stuff that caused the problem.

No?

You could possibly also start WRKACTJOB at end of day and review its statistics the next morning. Sort by CPU time, by AuxIO, by a couple measures, and note which jobs chewed up resources during the night.

With basic info on what jobs were of interest from WRKACTJOB, the database monitor results should be pretty easy to narrow down.

Maybe it's a cheap way to do things, but maybe it's enough to get a solid start.

Tom Liotta