On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Jon Paris <Jon.Paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm going to regret this but ...

On 16-Feb-09, at 3:51 PM, midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

If a decision was made to cutoff development of ILE, I wish people in
the know had spoken up and made the decision public.

At least you had the decency to include the word "if", and perhaps if
such a decision had been made we might have done so. The fact that you
think IBM should have gone in a specific direction with ILE doesn't
mean that any of the architects at IBM thought so.

the letter to the editor in this week's ITJungle says a decision was
made in the mid 1990s that affected ILE. The letter writer said people
on the ILE team told him so.
http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh021609-story06.html

ILE has the feel of an unfinished product. The signature violations
the many avoid by hardcoding the signature. The varying data type in
RPG that is not supported in COBOL and CL. The pre compiler is
undocumented. esp in terms of how to create debugger view. The
associated space of a program APIs have a parameter for named
associated spaces. Only problem is the API rejects all names. SQL
procedures are barely functional within ILE. The integration of SQL
within a running ILE program could be easily improved. Result sets as
an ILE data type, log sql stmts to the joblog, send an escape message
when an sql stmt fails.