Usually 10,000's of an inch accuracies are reserved for the most accurate machining on VERY precise built equipment. If it's a lumber yard or dealing
with wood, anything less than 1/16th of an inch cannot be distinguished because of the existing imperfections and/or shrinkage of wood.

Speaking of decimal inches, I once had a 250' tape measure that had fractional inches broken down into tenths. It was easier to measure antennas when
we were building them to measure precisely against wavelength calculations. I argued against it because there was no real need to go into that detail
if we were not going to calculate line loss and compensate by specific resistance and the other assorted variables. We were after all just creating
field expedient antennas and wagging the construction, impossible to construct in the field a dipole that doesn't droop or have some other issue. Why
get to the extreme of cutting the length to 10th's of an inch when you start chopping up the ends to make twist tie connections to a stripped out BNC
cable. I once tied the end onto the scraped off bark of a small tree to use it as a modified resistor to make the direction of the antenna
unidirectional. They didn't think it'd work, but it worked perfectly. So I drank for free that night, you gotta love stupid bets.

Anyways, if you have to store the info, then I'd have to agree to store it in a single decimal notation and present it to the workers in their
preferred manner. If/when you go some other route the information is still usable. If you were to store it in seperate fields you have to figure out
the logic later if the presentation changes and they decide to go some other route. The measurements are still valid and can be calculated much
easier in a single field if the computer were to do the work that the workers now do. Try not to pigeon hole yourself into any future changes based
purely on the workers preferred display.

Good luck,
Bill Epperson Jr.
Systems Communications Analyst
Memorial Health System
(719) 365-8831

Mike <koldark@xxxxxxxxx>

Sent by: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx To
"Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
12/12/2008 09:01 AM
Subject
Re: storing fractions of inches in a data field
Please respond to
Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I have heard my electrical engineer uncle talk about accuracy to 10,000 of
an inch.

--
Mike Wills
Midrange Programmer/Analyst