On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 16:28, Steve Richter <stephenrichter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So, what would you do if e.G. a system processor failed now?
dunno. Have not seen an i crash since the S/38 days.
System Management by Hope
we have good backups. lot of journaling. what else can be done to
prepare for a system crash

You say you can't afford the downtime to apply PTFs, yet you do not
have a second hot-standby system using Mimix or a similar product.

Now this means one of two things:

a) You could afford the downtime to install PTFs, but are hesitant to
do so (e.G. because you lack a proper test system to test new PTF
levels before deploying them into production)
b) You can't afford downtime, but your system management process fails
to accommodate this

If an i crashes because of hardware failure (which happens - we have
about 200 customer systems out there and see several catastrophic
hardware failures per year - most often on machines past the three
year mark, but occasionally before that), you'll have downtime - how
much depends on your contract with IBM or 3rd party Maintenance, but
usually this is at least two hours. Installing PTFs can be done in
less than two hours, if done often enough or the machine is fast
enough.