DR2,

I encourage you to change your perspective.

You say:
They NEVER learned it in school, they didn't learn it coming up
from the ranks...etc...
The IBM Academic Initiative is making inroads to answer this.
http://www-304.ibm.com/jct09002c/university/scholars/academicinitiative/
Stop whining about it, and get engaged.

So what if they have not learned it in school? That is not the only way IT
leaders become aware. The IBM i faithful have it in their power to promote
the platform to the (currently) uneducated. Spread the word, not the FUD.
Stop whining about it, and get engaged.

You say:
You need to realize that IBM has allowed this marketplace to evolve
this way as part of THEIR corporate strategy and frankly I don't
think they give a tinker's damn about your or me, individually....
it's all about services...
If, for IBM, services equal revenue, then let's find some IBM i solutions
that need services, and promote those into IBM. Spread the word!
Stop whining about it, and get engaged.

You say:
As for the rest of us, it's clearly time to evolve...and
I don't have to say I like it...
It would be nice, however, that you stopped spreading doom+gloom. I was told
once that if I discovered a problem, then I should only report it when I had
a solution to offer. Your entire approach to the platform is simply a
multitude of complaints. Can you stop 'reporting' your perceived problems,
and think about ways to solve?
Stop whining about it, and get engaged.

TP1