MIDRANGE dot COM Mailing List Archive



Home » MIDRANGE-L » November 2008

Re: String frustration



fixed

Not a dumb question, as far as I know.

My first attempt was just to run the send mail command. No mail ever got
delivered. Same thing happened when I completely removed the Date: header.

So, I compiled with full debug. I neglected, however, to stop optimization, so
the default of *FULL was used. That thought came to me after I sent the email.
Just compiled it with no optimization. Now, in debug, several lines below that
assignment statement, on a breakpoint, the variable is formatted. The date
header now looks like this:

Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 12:40:27 -0600




But, I have sent two emails now, and still have not seen them anywhere.

On my attempts with *FULL optimization enabled (my oversight), I had placed a
breakpoint on the statement following the assignment. With optimization, I
guess I needed to place the breakpoint further down than I did.

That might explain why the header had nothing in it. But, I checked the header
against another received email, and it is correct. Or, looks correct. Maybe
there is still something wrong like garbage on the end, or missing a string
terminator.


John McKee

Quoting Crispin Bates <cbates@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Perhaps a dumb question. Are you breaking on the line where mdatetime is
assigned a value, or after it is assigned a value?

----- Original Message -----
From: "John McKee" <jmmckee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, November 07, 2008 12:17 PM
Subject: String frustration


First, I know this is not an RPG list.

I apologize for asking what, to me, seems an especially dumb question.

But, I am clearly missing something. I finally had the time to
incorporate the
code Scott posted that he uses to format the Date:. My attempt is
resulting in
no Date: header. Using debug, I can comfirm that Scott's code works, and
very
nicely. I am, however, managing to snatch defeat from the jaws of
victory, as
the Date" header I try to construct shows as totally bklank in debug.

So, maybe I am defining something incorrectly?

Below is the D spec and the attempted assignment statemant:

D mdatetime s 256a

mdatetime = 'Date: ' + Temp + ' ' + tz;


What I am lost on is I tried a fixed format EVAL as well. The Temp and tz
variables have values. But, the variable I am trying to build does not
even
have 'Date: '.

Again, I apologize for asking an RPG question, and likely a very basic one
at
that.

John McKee

--
This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion (MIDRANGE-L) mailing
list
To post a message email: MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
visit: http://lists.midrange.com/mailman/listinfo/midrange-l
or email: MIDRANGE-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives
at http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l.




--
This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion (MIDRANGE-L) mailing list
To post a message email: MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
visit: http://lists.midrange.com/mailman/listinfo/midrange-l
or email: MIDRANGE-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives
at http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l.










Return to Archive home page | Return to MIDRANGE.COM home page

This mailing list archive is Copyright 1997-2014 by MIDRANGE dot COM and David Gibbs as a compilation work. Use of the archive is restricted to research of a business or technical nature. Any other uses are prohibited. Full details are available here. If you have questions about this, please contact