Here's how mine is set:

Subsystem description: QBATCH Status: ACTIVE Seq Job Max ---------Max by Priority----------
Nbr Queue Library Active 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 QBATCH QGPL 5 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
20 QS36EVOKE QGPL *NOMAX * * * * * * * * *
30 DQUERIES QGPL 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
40 PGMJOBQ QGPL 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
50 QTXTSRCH QGPL *NOMAX * * * * * * * * *
9000 NIGHT QGPL 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

So that QBATCH jobq is single-threaded by _priority_, not the jobq itself.

I'm particularly proud of how the NIGHT jobq works:

- During the day it is held
- Jobs get submitted to it during the day
- At 7pm a job scheduler job does:
- CHGJOBQE SBSD(QBATCH) JOBQ(NIGHT) MAXACT(9) MAXPTY1(1) + MAXPTY2(1) MAXPTY3(1) MAXPTY4(1) MAXPTY5(1) + MAXPTY6(1) MAXPTY7(1) MAXPTY8(1) MAXPTY9(1) - RLSJOBQ NIGHT
- SBMJOB CMD(NITJQEND) JOB(NITJQEND) JOBQ(QCTL) JOBPTY(9) + SCDDATE("tomorrow") SCDTIME("4am") MSGQ(QSYSOPR)
- At 4am the next morning, NITJQEND runs which does:
- CHGJOBQE SBSD(QBATCH) JOBQ(NIGHT) MAXACT(1)
- SBMJOB CMD(HLDJOBQ JOBQ(NIGHT)) JOB(HLDNIGHT) + JOBQ(NIGHT) JOBPTY(9) MSGQ(QSYSOPR)

By doing it this way, I handle it with 1 job scheduler job and when 4am comes, it is allowed to 'play out' 1 job at a time until the jobq is empty, with the last job holding it.