From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Christen, Duane J.
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2008 2:39 PM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: Web Services -- need suggestions on how to
handledatastructuresfor programs to be used as Web Services

Bill,

I use a user condition handler, which caught the un-handled exception
and reported back to the web service through the noteResponse structure.
Monitor and *PSSR are also viable, depending on what you need to return
to the caller and what works best for you. The joblog message wasn't
helpful and when I would try to catch the program in WDSC-Debug (Service
Entry Points) the debug would fail unexpectedly.
I had the tester send me the XML he was using to test and noticed that
he had 3 characters set for a 1 character field. After I fixed the XML
it worked fine. I then set the prefrences on the WSDL and sent it back
to the tester.

If I wern't confortable with user condition handlers, I would use the
Monitor, something like:

Monitor;
// validate input structure
// web service logic

On-Error;
// set return structure values for an unexpected error
// include the job (number/user/name)
End-Mon;

Some othere tools you might find helpful:

The WDSC Service Entry Points are great for debuging web services.

WDSC Job Filter pools work great for finding the jobs that are running
your web service. Use QUSER for the Job User and the profile you
supplied to the web service wizard when you created it.

Use the NETSTAT menu option 3 "Work with TCP/IP Connection Status"
F13-local port and F14 to look for the webservice port number to find
the listener

Duane Christen