Somewhat dated, but there might be something of value from the following message.
As I recall an RPG example in a referenced .pdf used a DS. The data can not be represented simply as a "character field the length of the data structure" because conversion between EBCDIC and ASCII can not be applied to non-character data which may make up components of the DS.
I believe any 2008 Group PTF SF99114 for IBM HTTP Server includes any required code.

Regards, Chuck

Blalock, Bill wrote:
I've been studying the Integrated Web Services for i announced by IBM
(http://www.ibm.com/systems/i/software/iws/). Cool stuff. I found the
reference on this list.

The server example uses a program to convert temperatures; the
parameters are two character fields which represent temperatures.

Any suggestions on how would more complicated data that one might put
into data structures to pass into and out of programs and service
programs? I don't have the prerequisites or I'd be experimenting and
poking around.

PCML allows a parameter to be defined as a simple field or structure of
fields.
If a parameter were described in PCML as a structure of fields would the
parameter be published as a set of fields or as a character field the
length of the data structure?

If described as a structure would the WDSL that is generated include the
separate fields or one character field for the parameter?

If described as a structure what would one see in the "Select Export
Procedures to Externalize as a Web Service" display (step 5 and Figure 6
in the server quick start section).

Finally, is there any documentation yet for the web services part of
this feature beyond what is on the above reference?