we have the same sort of authority issues here. there are sites that my boss tells me to check out but the network folks have them blocked so i have to do it at home because unblocking takes an act of some supreme being that i haven't been able to identify.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Cassidy, Alan
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2008 10:59 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: verify an email address

If the email server is in-house and you're just checking email addresses
for your own company (or whatever "turf"), another way is to use LDAP
client API's to verify the addresses directly, as long as the email
server supports LDAP. Microsoft Exchange does.

Using Scott Klement's excellent and clear guide to using LDAP and the
one API for doing this specifically, I tried to implement this a year or
two back. I'm sure my API calls were good, but after much ado I found
there were /authority/ issues. It's sticky, and the Windowers at my shop
were so coy with the permissions, try this and that first, that as soon
as I discovered they already had a white list going out to their
ISP/mail provider, I gave them an FTP script to schedule it to go to our
systems....

Another alternative is a command that will generate a good list, called
something like ldapdiff or some such.

--Alan