Hi,

SQL DDL allows long (up to 30 characters in V5R3 and 128 charactes in V5R4)
SQL names and system names up to 10 charactes.
SQL and System names can coexist. If a long SQL column name is used and no
System name is generated, a system name beginning with the first 5
characters of the long name and a 5 digit number will be created.

Create Table MySchema/MyTable
(MyLongCharacterField For MyCharName char(20),
MyLongIntegerField For MyIntName Integer, ....)

Additionally you can a column heading (= COLHDG in DDS) with the SQL command
LABEL ON.
Label on also allows you to add a text (= Text in DDS)

Label On Column MySchema/MyTable
(MyLongCharacterField is 'ColHdg for MyCharName',
MyLongIntegerField is 'ColHdg for MyIntName', ...)

Label On Column MySchema/MyTable
(MyLongCharacterField Text is 'Text for MyCharName',
MyLongIntegerField Text is 'Text for MyIntName', ...)

It is even possible to add an comment (up to 2000 character) for each
column, by using the SQL command COMMENT ON.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Birgitta Hauser

Brown)
and keeping them!"