Walden H. Leverich wrote:
The fact that you have to say "even supports..." something
as trivial as a webcam shows that Linux isn't yet ready as a
replacement for Windows.

I just subscribed to PCTECH but will risk responding here because of my growing awareness of the interplay between Linux desktops and IBM i, and between Linux desktops and Linux servers running under Power VM.

Linux may not make sense to a shop that's heavily invested in Windows desktop and server applications, but it makes sense to me. I'm not running any Windows servers. All my server applications are hosted on a model 520. 95% of my development is in RPG and code that runs in a browser. I'm content with PDM for the most part.

IBM supports System i Access under Linux http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/i/software/access/linux/index.html, including ODBC drivers, which implies that query tools must be available for Linux (admitting my ignorance).

I discovered this morning that Lenovo offers a preinstalled version of SUSE Linux on their Thinkpad T6 laptops. That led me to the demo at http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/ which describes in part the interplay between SUSE desktop and SUSE server which is supported under Power VM.

The user interface under SUSE blew me away. The rotating cube desktop is worth mentioning in particular. Novell's message is geared to enterprise environments, including shops that are using Vista.

Nathan.