I agree that adopting a new platform and/or software stack because it's
easier to make it do Task N is shortsighted and a drag on long term
progress. In my shop I see it in the MS-Windows satellite machines that are
unwanted but must be maintained. At the time it was faster to buy a turn key
solution instead of understanding the problem and solving it on the *i*. The
project was finished faster but three years later these are black boxes that
require special considerations to keep them going and rehashing of the
original goals.

On the other hand, I've also been in the situation where personnel find it
suitable to shrug their shoulders and give you a call. They are experts in
following carefully scripted procedures that require little to no thinking.
If it's been years, and they're still calling you about mundane details,
then the problem mostly likely lies with them.

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 8:25 AM, Aaron Bartell <aaronbartell@xxxxxxxxx>