From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Thursday, 1 May 2008 3:57 a.m.
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Even dumb tubes expire

A couple of nights ago we had a grand thunderstorm here. My systems are
all on Tripp UPS devices, so they never even so much as flicker, but we
had a strike maybe 30 feet from the house and we all felt it. A little
later I checked the logs and noticed my console (an true blue IBM
console) was reporting failures. I powered it off, varied the
controller and it seemed to be okay, but today it started acting up
again. It would connect, be okay, then cycle out. I replaced it with a
standby Lynx model, but that's it for that poor machine.

So, while dumb tubes are reliable, they aren't immortal. And thus comes
the issue. I'm on my last backup terminal. I don't know if I want to
buy a couple more; they're cheap enough, but they do take up space. Can
I take my model 270 with V5R4 and use a LAN console with it? It's a
9406-270, 22A4 feature code, if that helps anyone.

Joe