On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Eric Lehti <elehti@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
System i again, saying that all servers have been using RAID5 for years
with hot-swap capability, and WHY is our junky System i disk drive

The IBM i hardware platforms also had this capability since ages. I
remember that hot swap capable cages were optional but common on the
model 270. The 800es and newer model only had hot plug disks, but some
controllers where not hot plug capable (which i believe was a
marketing restriction).

failing in the first place!! He makes comments like that just to get my

Drives die all the time. They're mostly the same, just the pricing is
different ;)

Especially the first 2.5" drives for our System x machines have been awful.

* They died all the time. Literally. From 60 purchased drives, around
7 died during a 4 week period.
* They needed firmware updates to fix a few issues. Installing these
firmware updates required a reboot of the machine from a cdrom. You
could do this remotely using an RSA card, but it was still a PITA.