Error Message handling needs to be designed for real people, at real companies, in the interests of overall productivity of problem resolution.

Some companies get packaged software, then hire people to do clerical work with the software, in which the end users do not have a thorough understanding of the big picture, just their narrow data entry focus, how to do their tiny part of the big picture.

Some packaged software comes with error messages to the user in which they are supposed to take option A B C D E or F, that assumes they have a good understanding of the implications of each. The average user does not read the error message, does not press F1 for explanation of the choices, does not call IT for help, just presses the enter key again and again until the computer gets a move on, does not tell anyone they had some problem. Occasionally if they get a lot of this hassle, IT is told they were doing data entry (not what kind of data entry) and they got an error message (not what error message).

Often the default, what happens if you press the enter key, can cause a cascade of other problems. There needs to be a competent log of what was going on that led to the error condition so that a person familiar with the application, not just IT, can later reconstruct how to get the situation repaired.

Some screen i/o is designed such that the user could key in say 20 values, each of which could be examined for validity. A program comes back with an error message that ONE of these fields is no good, the user fixes it, then the program comes back with error message that another ONE is no good, the user fixes it, the program finds the next ONE at a time. There are more productive ways for user input to be managed.

I agree... I was always taught that the user should not be confronted with
error messages.

Michael Schutte
Admin Professional
Bob Evans Farms, Inc.