The Output File [Outfile] support for STRSQL is the same as for RUNQRY OUTTYPE(*OUTFILE) support. There is no control of the ALLOCATE() option in either case; the file should always be created with ALLOCATE(*NO). There may be control to the SIZE(), but if so, probably accidentally, as the feature that exists to enable any control of SIZE() was created for the Query/400 *OUTFILE support. Additionally ALLOCATE(*YES) is mutually exclusive from SIZE(*NOMAX); the default for the created file is SIZE(*NOMAX), so an accidental ALLOCATE(*YES) should have failed the create due to that consistency check. The first and second element of SIZE() influence the initial and additional extent sizes, irrespective of the ALLOCATE().

However I believe the real issue is not so complicated. That instead, there was missing information. Having only the activity statistics is not enough to comment intelligently on what might have transpired. For example the field definitions, variable data, reuse attribute, SIZE attribute, record length and others may play a role in actual dataspace size.

Regards, Chuck