Agreed, both S/38 Migration and CISC-to-RISC were a bigger, but in both
cases, IBM was talking about the issue of "observability" loudly and longly
before. Also, both of the afore mentioned functions did not follow the
"normal" release install method. If you are unaware of the V6R1 issues,
and have a rogue operator install V6R1 without first checking, you could be
driving your business into a bridge abutment at 150 MPH. As of yesterday,
I was informed that there are still many vendors that are not yet ready,
but are at least thinking about it. Whereas V6R1 looks like it's ready for
prime time, the industry doesn't.

I must talk to a software vendor every day that doesn't believe it's an
issue. They are emulating a river in Egypt (da nyle).

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

"i" comes before "p", "x" and "z"
e gads

Our system's had more names than Elizabeth Taylor!

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com
http://www.systemiconnection.com/

Joe Pluta
<joepluta@plutabr
others.com> To
Sent by: Midrange Systems Technical
midrange-l-bounce Discussion
s@xxxxxxxxxxxx <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

02/29/2008 11:20 Subject
AM Re: Woes on ANZOBJCVN...

Please respond to
Midrange Systems
Technical
Discussion
<midrange-l@midra
nge.com>

Steve.Hinrichs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Joe and Rob,

I respect both of your input on this group very much. You are missing
one
point. It may not be just a 'recompile' to make it work on V6. IBM has
made many changes and enhancements to the i5/OS, API's, JAVA, and many
other areas that can cause things to not work. I would recommend
checking
out i5/OS Memo to Users for V6R1, and the redpaper on converting to V6R1.

No question, Steve. That's actually my point: the encapsulation issue
is really only a small part of the V6R1 release and something of a red
herring. V6R1 is a substantial release, and like any release, it
requires vendors to test their code. If IBM only made V6R1 available in
the summer, that's sort of a tight squeeze, but then again I seem to
remember that we only had about a year to migrate to Silverlake (the
first AS/400), and that was a MUCH bigger issue than moving to a new
release of i5/OS.

If you're a software vendor it's your responsibility to handle version
changes. That's what you're selling, after all - the security that the
people using your software can continue to use your software (well
technically I guess that's what you're charging maintenance for).

Joe