There is also an "asset" from IBM Lab Services (there are also resellers) that does this for windows, i5/OS, AIX, Linux (many versions), LDAP, Lotus Notes native windows, Lotus Notes Internet Password, various and sundry internet web sites (e.g. google, yahoo, etc...), and other stuff as well. It can be invoked transparently at the time ctrl-alt-dlt is used to change a password in Windows, and there is a browser interface for configuring as well as for forcing a synchronization.

It happens to be built on top of EIM. We often use it to synchronize passwords that we can't get rid of by using EIM and Kerberos or other things.

An asset differs from an LPP. An asset is a one time charge, no maintenance, and you typically get the source code. There typically is not as much documentation and they are not usually overtly marketed.

You can get this asset from from IBM Lab Services or any company that has a services enablement agreement with IBM Lab Services. I can't quote prices, but it is somewhere in the $750 to $1500 one-time charge range. I think it's a steal!

Lab Services has other assets also. One, also built on EIM is a user management solution. It typically requires some tweaks for specific companies so services are sometimes also needed.

Patrick Botz
Vice President, Security Consulting
Group8 Security, Inc
Business : 1-775-852-8887
Home/Office: 1-507-285-9048
Mobile : 1-507-250-5644
http://www.group8security.com
mailto:Pat.Botz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message and any attachment to this email message contain information that may be privileged and confidential. This email and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named above (the recipient) and may not be forwarded to or shared with any third party. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this email in error, please notify us by return e-mail or by telephone at 775-852-8887 and delete this message. This notice is automatically appended to each email message leaving Group8 Security, Inc. Thank You.

Mike Cunningham wrote:
Is anyone doing password syncing between i5/OS and Active Directory? By that I mean when a users changes their password in Active Directory that same password is sent to i5/OS and the matching userid is updated with the same password. Not EIM. Not Kerberos. Just password syncing. Or is there a way to tell i5/OS to authenticate a logon using a remote LDAP directory? Searching has found some reference to this for Domino on i5/OS but I am looking for 5250 logon to always use the same password that the user has in active directory