C200 31FF is the code when its looking for a load source.

When you create partitions, you tell the HMC which cards are to be assigned
to which partition, and you also tell them if they are desired (meaning I
would like to have them, if I can't I will still come up), and required
(meaning they had better be available otherwise I am not coming up). I
would ask you have you looked at the profiles, and validated that all the
cards it wants are in the location it is looking for them in.

Also, if you had 2 partitions, and now you just put all the hardware (cards
and disks) into one partition to try and bring that up, you would have 2
load sources.

I would make sure the cards are in the locations that the profiles expect
them to be. Did they put all the disks back where they got them, or did
they just put them any old place?

Do you have the original System Plans? That were used to create this system?

I would probably gotten the Tar and Feathers out when I had heard this, and
made sure both the Teacher and his students understood the meaning of tar
and feathers as they walked around campus looking like ugly chickens.

Pete