From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Dave Odom
Sent: Friday, November 23, 2007 12:00 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: How can I determine "hit rate" for a set of files in

Vern,

Someone did respond with info on DBMON but as they and you point out it if falls short for providing the comprehensive data and info I'm looking for as it only provides SQL activity and in a true RDBMS, like the real DB2s, it might have all of what I want. But, alas, the i5 is a pseudo-DB2; a good start to be sure and going in the direction of the real DB2s and ORACLE, etc., but not there yet despite what Rochester and those only focused on i5/OS believe.

You have brought something new to help solve my quest for detailed I/O data, a Performance Explorer. No one else has mentioned that. I'd like to know more so if you can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. It is disappointing however, that it takes a special invocation to get what I want (probably more than what I want) and it takes so much resources. What i'm looking for should be in the SYS tables or somewhere like. For now, I guess I'll have to use DSPFD.

I also respect a lot of what you have to say but I'm not sure to what "doesn't wash" is referring. I've read some of Codd's and Date's works and had a chance to talk with Chris and the developers of DB2 at Santa Teresa Lab and the ORACLE development folks and, clearly, what they say and have implemented as a UNIVERSALLY accepted implementation of Codd's rules and Chris's thoughts, is not DB2/400. To turn your analogy around... If it doesn't look like "the" ducks(universally accepted RDBMSs) and doesn't...(you get it), it must not be a universally accepted "duck"; and DB2/400 isn't. If I were wrong about that, the world would seriously consider DB2/400 in the same duck family... and it doesn't. I REALLY wish it weren't so but it is.

Hope you had a good Thanksgiving as I did and I look forward to trading thoughts and ideas in the future.

Take care,

Dave