And you could use the Windows LPD to give you a printer queue on each PC - or there are other products out there - like NI Print, if I recall - I'd do a google on lpd and windows

HTH
Vern

At 07:44 PM 11/19/2007, you wrote:

If I didn't have green-screen apps that already made printing simple (press one function key and the class schedule prints) that all of our users are use to and expect I would go the pdf route. If I try and do that when I convert existing functions to web browser and change the single function key to a button, then a file open, then find and use the print button in Acrobat I will get tarred and feathered.

... plus I already have everything in place to produce a spool file into an outq associated with the current user and I was hoping to reuse that logic. For 90% of my users they will be on college owned systems where we control the installed software and adding lpr/lpd is going to be much less of an issue that keeping client access updated. The other 10% are home users who are usually power users and know what they are doing or they are also using college owned laptops where we control the image.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Walden H. Leverich
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2007 3:27 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Using Windows LPD software to print from an iSeries

> We are moving to an all browser world and the need for Client Access
to be
>installed on the client machine is going away. That and the need to
support
>printing to non-college owned computers (e.g. Employee and student home

>computers) is pushing us towards LPR/LPD printing.

In an "all browser" world, wouldn't the right way to do printing be
generation of a PDF server-side and just let the client print it
however/wherever they want? If you go the LPR/LPD approach you'll be
supporting code on the client-side (yuck!) and you'll have firewall
issues to content with, be there physical, or software-based.

-Walden

--
Walden H Leverich III
Tech Software