From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of CRPence
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2007 3:21 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Quantify processing wasted by lots of little jobs

FWiW:
Although the "end-the-program" request is good practice to enable a
controlled shutdown of the NEP, that does not help with the controlled
ENDJOB or ENDSBS requests. That also does not assist when it is a
non-keyed single-queue implementation, and the only queue has many
entries in wait; queued up before the end request. Thus the NEP could
still timeout and check the in-controlled-end status flag in a coded
loop; where the timeout is under half of the default controlled end
wait-time -- the /default/ according to the system management rules, not

necessarily the default on the ENDxxx commands themselves. If the NEP
processes large/long requests, and the importance of allowing completion

of a request should dictate a delay to the start of controlled end
requests, a scripted/custom ENDSYS can send the "end-the-program" and
await feedback from that request, before issuing the actual ENDxxx.