Trevor,

What blows my mind is that we have talked about this over and over on
forum
after forum, but the concept of a brand name of System i just does not
stick.

Any product name change is always a risky proposition, but IBM screwed
up when they failed to back it up with a marketing campaign that would
inform the broader computing community of the change. Heck, as you
note, they didn't even sink the message into the platform faithful who
haunt this board.

I speak to a lot of folks who have never heard of System i or iSeries
(and certainly not i5!). And because the news of the name changes never
reached them, I find myself spending too much time drawing the
connection between all of these names rather than focusing on the
mission and message that I came to deliver. If I want to stay true to
the "System i" branding, I must spend a significant amount of time
carrying the water for the poor IBM branding. And then heaven help me
if someone asks a question about it. Worse case scenario is that I
spend 20-25% of my allotted time talking about the stupid name changes,
rather than security.

And what's worse, this version of the name is so search unfriendly I
can't believe that someone actually chose it in the 2000's. If you
search for AS/400, iSeries, or even i5 and you get a reasonable set of
results. But search for "System i" on most desktop or internet search
utilities (OK, except Google), and the result set is usually completely
worthless.

So yes, I accept that the name changed, and yes, I will refer to it as
the System i when I am talking to people who I expect to understand that
name. But if IBM didn't bother to properly educate the rest of the
world about the various name changes, please understand if I don't get
all excited about carrying their water for them.

jte

--
John Earl, VP and Chief Technology Officer
PowerTech: 253-872-7788

Email is an excellent way to communicate material that is not time
sensitive. If your communication is of a more urgent nature, please
call.

This email message and any attachments are intended only for the use of
the intended recipient named above and may contain information that is
privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any
dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly prohibited. If you
received this email message in error, please immediately notify the
sender by replying to this email message or by telephone and delete the
message from your email system. Thank you.