Indeed; i i for the i.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Trevor Perry
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 9:45 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: I'm about to give up on "System i"

John,

The AS/400 is part of the System i server family. But you cannot buy one
from IBM, so it is not a current System i server, but part of the
family.
IBM will sell you a System i5 - which is what yours is - even if it has
the
brand name on it.

And, whether you agree with the name or not - and there are a lot of
people
who think they know better than IBM, "System i" is the name that IBM
calls
it. While IBM's marketing has not shown its favoritism of the System i
for
many years, there is no going back to iSeries or AS/400. What a
marketing
snafu that would be.

As for i5/OS, my V5R4 system has the words "i5/OS Main Menu" on the MAIN
menu. Most of us have asked repeatedly to have this changed, and it
seems
that it is - albeit slower than the declining sales percentage.

So, here is another idea. IBM has a slogan "i want an i". Why don't we
just
stop farting around and call it an "i" - it rolls off the tongue better
than
every other choice!

Trevor