I "think" theres 216 safe colors......

On 9/13/07, Trevor Perry <trevor@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Charles,

The problem is that programmers think they know all this stuff because
they
are techies. You are right about "we" not learning it all. But, IMO, we
should learn ABOUT it. We need some basic understanding of many things
that
are not technical programming topics, but few of us are willing to admit
we
do. So many programmers design the crappiest web sites, but think they are
beautiful. In the same way, so many programmers write blogs, who cannot
write. We think we are invulnerable and super-human, apparently :-)

I recently bought this book, and recommend it for everyone. It is called:
Apple Human Interface Guidelines: The Apple Desktop Interface
I got it from abebooks.com. I recommend the one written in 1986, as the
principles still apply. If you want the current one, you can read it here:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuid
elines/XHIGIntro/chapter_1_section_1.html

This book makes you think about the "user experience" - something most
important for building applications. Even if you cannot code some of these
principles, it is really nice to know them.

An ideal team for building new applications comprises a technical
designer/developer, a graphical designer, and users. Each of them should
have a small understanding of what the others do, but should not dictate
the
other's solution. They should guide and drive the project. The hardest
part
is that most System i developers don't think highly of the users, and tend
to negate what they say. So, there is even some paradigms to modify before
successful modern application can be developed and implemented.

Of course, this discussion simply touches the tip of the UI iceberg.

How is this for a non-trivial question: Who knows how many "web safe"
colors
there are, and why and when they should be used?

Trevor