From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Trevor Perry
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 11:08 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Thin Clients

Why on earth are you still using ANY form of keyboard data entry in the 21st
century?

People complain all the time about not knowing how to modernize their
applications - here is the BEST example of how to start the modernization
process. It costs relatively little to modernize a data entry application -
beyond the green to GUI part, and the ROI is quick.

How about RFID? Or, scanning and OCR? Or, web services? Or..... I did one
project a couple of years ago where we went from (maximum of) 80 orders
entered in a day by hand, to 500 orders a day using an FTP solution (pre-web
services). The data entry function went from hundreds of keystrokes to four
or five clicks per order, and the occasional data entry for exceptions. We
still had the human eye on the order, but we reduced human error and
improved order entry accuracy to almost 100%. The next step will be to have
the web orders entered by the customers directly into the DB2 database -
where the workflow will still require human touch, but only to review and
approve. In the end, we increased web order throughput over 500%, and there
is no concept of (batch) human data entry any more.

There are so many ways to replace data entry today, that the question of how
fast data entry should be in a browser is moot.

First step... modernize your thinking.
Second step... modernize all your human data entry functions.
Third step... get kudos from your company for increasing throughput.
Fourth step... stop telling midrange-L green screen is better than GUI for
anything :-)