gosh, when one buys a cheapy PC one does not get MS Office. Those machines do everything the buyers want done. But I see now that I am confusing "thin client" with "stand-alone device"

Pete Helgren wrote:
I guess they could and then in that case you would need the hypervisor and VM's on some kind of flash memory. I think that this would be of limited use though. In the mass market, I doubt thin client technologies will ever replace traditional OS's in the near future primarily because no one yet provides a package, over the Internet or by other means, that can meet consumer needs. I DO see thin client apps, even those in a VM, gaining popularly over time for business because of the IT headaches it can save. Given the ever growing bloat and complexity of both OS and desktop applications, I can't see that the current path of software development for OS and desktop applications can persist.

Could this happen using today's technology? No. Nobody has a OS-less hypervisor and there isn't a software package I know of that runs purely on the hypervisor layer in a VM.

Pete

Booth Martin wrote:
To get to my idea: Think Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart could go to a firm in China and say "We will buy 500,000 devices over 2 years that do what a PC does, with no software. It has to all be in the hardware. Flash cards will be the memory method. The target selling price for the device will be under $200 for the device. There will be *no* moving parts." Could it happen with today's technology?