From: midrange-l-bounces+lgoodbar=borgwarner.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces+lgoodbar=borgwarner.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Pete Helgren
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 14:16
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Thin clients

Booth,

Actually, it is even simpler than that. The hypervisor vendor would develop a hypervisor that worked with a specific set of common hardware components. You could then boot the machine, not to an OS, but to the hypervisor itself. The hypervisor might be burned as firmware or is might boot from the network. The hypervisor would access a config file that would identify what applications are available and those applications would boot as VM's on the hypervisor layer, pulling the software off a server (similar to Citrix or other thin client applications). No local OS, no local file system (unless it was needed). So you could have a diskless workstation with just hardware, memory and CPU. Keeps things simple from a management standpoint. Yes,

if there was new hardware, the hypervisor would have to support it but you *could* also have the VM itself BE a Windows or Linux OS. Again the machine itself wouldn't be running and OS, just the hypervisor to boot the VM. So the VM could be a standalone app (like word processing) or a complete OS with installed applications. But the hypervisor is the key since it could support many VM's of different
types.

The hardware/software savings is probably not the compelling reason (unless open source projects started writing to the hypervisor layer negating the need for an OS) and you can be sure that some application vendors would still change for their apps, even if they were running on a hypervisor instead of an OS but the whole issue of management is even further simplified here. You have hypervisor and hardware. Anyone who runs on an OS (ANY OS) and that is all of us, knows that the OS contributes to some application management issues (not ALL but some). Eliminating the OS just further reduces the complexity.

Mind you, this is just an idea I have been musing over. Reality is a long way off.

Pete Helgren