Well, Mark, that makes sense. When I started here, the STRTCP command was in the V4R4 system and just got propagated through the many release (now V5R4).

* Jerry C. Adams
*IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
615.995.7024
fax
615.995.1201
email
jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Mark S. Waterbury wrote:
Hi, Jerry:

(I had STRTCP in my QSTRUP *PGMs, from V3R1 through at least V4R5.)

Try this experiment -- issue STRTCP while TCP is already started, and it sends a diagnostic message:

TCP1A04 TCP/IP is currently active

Releases of OS/400 prior to this new IPL attribute required the STRTCP command in QSTRUP, to start TCP/IP automatically during IPL. The STRTCP commnad issues only a *DIAG message, allowing QSTRUP (or other user programs) to continue processing normally in an upwards compatible manner.

HTH,

Mark

> Jerry Adams wrote:
Mark,

I never knew it was there. What I did know is that within our QSTRUP program there is a STRTCP command. Redundant?

There is, also, an IPL option to start print writers, as well as a system value for that. Even though this value is set to *Yes on our backup machine, the print writers do *not* automatically start on it. In QSTRUP I check to see which machine is being IPLed (a data area tells me whether it's production or backup) and it skips the QWCSWTRS program if it is backup even though the system value, as well as the IPL options, is set to 'Yes'.

My point is, well, really a puzzlement or query: Would TCP start without the STRTCP command in QSTRUP if the IPL option is *Yes? Based upon my reading of Rob's question (i.e., what I thought he didn't say - "Mine's starting and there's nothing in my QSTRUP program about it."), I'm supposing that's true. But it obviously isn't true of every IPL option, such as the print writers. Seems a bit inconsistent.