I assume you're referring to the deployment/management issues;

Nope, I am talking about building your application so you DON'T have very
much, if anything, to do with deployment issues. You install this thick
client once and only update it as much as you would update your browser
version. I am talking about creating a desktop thick client that really
only knows how to render form definitions, retain state, and communicate
with the server. EVERYTHING to do with database access, business logic,
process flow, etc is done on the server. This is really quite similar to
what the browser is doing, except it can be done in a thick client
environment using thick client controls. I should have been more detailed
in my OP.

Sorry, didn't mean to. Short answer: Yes, I've used several applications
that deliver better business value then their thick-client cousins would
have.
If you have the time could you detail what they are (technologies used,
purpose of application, etc), if they are public, etc? I am really trying
to either expose a well written browser app that gives thick clients a run
for their money, or expose your original comment as an overstatement of
confidence in browser applications.

<Walden>
Longer answer... the question isn't valid. You pose a question that assumes
you will deliver a "well written" browser app and a "well written' thick
client app. OK, given the choice between them, as a user I'll take the thick
client app. However, there are two problems with the question, first it
assumes you'll be given the time/resources to build and maintain a
thick-client to the same level as a web app, and second you ignore the
back-end management of thick clients.
</Walden>

I think we have the same understanding that in the end, from a users
perspective, a thick client is most always going to be better. I am not
arguing your point of thick client implementations being messy. I think
that is a product of short sightedness on Microsoft's part - they are still
trying to get enterprise minded concerning infrastructure. Right now they
get most of their business because of look and feel for both users and
developers - doesn't bode well though for the enterprise infrastructure as a
whole because I still don't believe that Microsoft is a good long term
investment compared to what IBM has offered to date with server side (no I
am not going to argue that IBM has sucked it up big time with their lack of
GUI, that is exactly what Microsoft has used for their in-road).

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com