From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of albartell
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 9:29 AM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: New redpaper: i5/OS Program Conversion: Getting
readyfor i5/OSV6R1

One of the larger problems here is that ISVs still support outdated
releases. If ISVs would act reasonably and stop supporting
older versions of the software running on unsupported
operating systems, less problems would be had.

Lukas, with all due respect (which I respect you a lot),
until you sell custom software on the i5 I don't think you
can truly know how beneficial (in money and number of
customers) compiling to previous releases is. As I
understand it you get paid to put in brand new boxes so your
stance makes complete sense and I would suspect that many
ISV's would love to have their customers on the latest
release - but that just isn't the case.

This is exactly how it works on other platforms - and those
don't have
8
year old servers running critical business infrastructure.
There weren't a lot of Wintel servers in the past that could
run critical business infrastructure applications. Microsoft
is just getting into the "Enterprise Server" space in the
past 5 years or so. I don't think it is correct to make the
comparison you did because it doesn't realize the players and
how long they have been around and how refined the
OS/Hardware is. If Microsoft had been writing Enterprise
Servers in the 70's on their own hardware then I would guess
we would be seeing A LOT of Microsoft servers still running
Windows95 - but that just isn't the case.

Thoughts?
Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com