Tommy,

Every time I do a relevant presentation, I ask how many people do MOSTLY
maintenance programming. From your words, you would be surprised at how much
is actually being done. It is not 95%, but it is way more than 5%. It
certainly is the majority who respond with a yes.

As for effort, there are a few people who are working to improve the
education of or community who deserve lots of recognition. They are
contributors to this list, for sure, and their work is stellar. And, there
are people like David who, on their own time and their own resources, ensure
things like this forum remain a force in our industry. The effort to which I
am referring, however, is a marketing effort. There is little effort in
upgrading our vernacular from what is perceived to be old. There is little
effort in getting the word out to people NOT in our industry. We are so
inward looking some times, that it hurts us. I suggested once that IBM hand
out t-shirts to every softball team from every System i company with the
letter "i" in red and nothing else. What happened? Nothing. So, I made some
buttons with iGeek on them, and handed them out to people at COMMON - and
every time I visited a company with other platforms, I passed them out to
people who were not System i developers. I have a little time to do that,
and if everyone with a little time did that, we could change the world.

Someone recently accused our industry of being passionless. I disagreed at
the time, but I am finding more and more that the passion lies in loving the
platform, but not in promoting it. I have my job, why would I worry about
the future of my job? It is hard to reach these people and harder to engage
them in marketing our future. I would love to meet some of these "OTHERS" of
who you speak.. All of us have much to gain, but few of us are willing to
stick our neck out and make more than just an argument.

Trevor